kevin's journey

This is a record of my life. Thoughts, ideas, experiences, and revelations inhabit this space.

Monday, February 20, 2006

More Messages From Dad

Dad wrote out some more.....

Feb 16th
I've been getting "chemo" since Thursday evening Feb 9th in the form of a steroid called Prednisone. In many poor countries around the world this is all they can afford/get. It is effective in causing the cancer to regress but cannot in itself cure it. And man, does it give you energy, an appetite and insomnia. Energizer Bunny x 40.

Today I started on Cyclophospahmide. They inject it through the IV pole into a shunt they have run up a vein that ends right at the entrance to my heart. No ill side effects.

Feb 17th
They adjust my meds and doses daily based on what is happening in my body and reactions thereafter. I have considerable water in my legs and feet and abdominal cavity. The chemo collects where there is Edema which is not good as it will kill more good cells in those areas and none of the bad cells which are not there. They've given me something called Laisik to drain these areas speedily, will likely to an ultrasound to spot blood clots (if any) today. They also started me on Rutuximab. This drug specifically looks for a "marker" found only in cancerous tumors and heads straight for them. Because of this trait the effects on "good" cells and all the negatives of treatment are minimized. They monitor my vitals constantly during these initial injections and everytime something changes they adjust the dosage up or down appropriately. The dose was not full strength because of the Edema, mentioned above, but they are working in that direction. What an amazing medical team! What an amazing God we have!

Pray that the water problem will be solved so that they can get aggressive with my therapy. Also ... there are all kinds of ministry opportunities here with non-church going patients and their families. Pray that God will use me in ministry to these dear hurting people and to the doctors and nurses to minister His grace. I am truly blessed to be here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home