kevin's journey

This is a record of my life. Thoughts, ideas, experiences, and revelations inhabit this space.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Dad's Last Email

I have a copy of dad's last email which he sent to a few people. It was published in Trinity Baptist Church's bulletin on February 25th, three days before he died. I thought some of you might be interested in sharing in some of dad's vision, humour, and some of his last written words.

"Well, I have finally been admitted to the RUH for the last of the chemo. Today is Day -4. When they get to Day 0 they tranfuse back my stem cells. If these "engraft" they will encourage the bone marrow to produce white and red blood cells and platelets once again. If they don't engraft ... well then we will see you in heaven. God has given me His peace. In some ways I would rather go to be with Him which is far better. Its been over a year .... a long battle and I am tired.
Nevertheless, as Paul once said to the Corinthians: 'It's better for you that I remain.' In other words you need me to keep bugging you about spiritual goals and applying biblical teachings. 8-) Sounds fair enough. I am in Room 6109 for all vegetarian pizza deliveries. 8-) My bedside phone is: 1-306-655-2574. If no answer, (its a single room so do not worry about disturbing anyone) call back later. I may be out in the TV room or elsewhere. After before 8am and after 10pm your calls are forwarded to unit 1, 6100 switchboard. Between those hours you get my room direct.
Blessings.
Lyle"

I would also just like to clarify that dad did NOT have cancer in his body when he died. He was undergoing preventative chemo and a preventative stem cell procedure. The cause of death was an infection in the blood called sepsis (same as septisemia). He didn't have any white blood cells left in his body due to the preventative chemo he had just undergone. Mom and I are meeting with the doctor tomorrow to find out more details and ask some questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home